Founded in 1963, William F. White International Inc. (“WFW”), a Sunbelt Rentals Company, is Canada’s oldest and largest provider of production equipment to the entertainment industry. With offices across the country, the company services productions of all sizes from coast to coast and houses an extensive state-of-the-art inventory, including camera, lighting, grip, specialty equipment, location support and a growing portfolio of premium studio properties.
Our Shared Purpose
What really gets you out of bed every morning? Other than the smell of coffee, we’re driven by our shared purpose- to make the magic of storytelling happen. It’s not a surprise that our team is comprised of passionate creators and experienced technical experts. The one thing we all have in common is our love for “moving pictures”, whether it’s glossy high budget TV series or a homegrown Canadian indie film. Our job is to help bring the magic of storytelling to life, by supporting our clients as their go-to Partners in Production.
Values are important to us, not only do they set us apart from the pack, but these shared values also bring us together. At the end of the day, it’s these principles that we strive to live by in our everyday professional lives and what we turn to in the face of adversity.
- Put people first
We support and respect our team, clients, and community before anything else.
- Do what we say
We act with integrity and follow through on our commitments.
- Foster excellence
We engage and empower great people to do great things.
- Support our communities
We work with our industry partners to build safe, healthy, inclusive, and sustainable communities.
The Golden Opportunity
Virtual Production is the latest addition to our suite of services and one we are positioning for rapid expansion. This filmmaking process allows content creators to utilize a combination of live action and cutting-edge digitally created environments rendered on LED walls and ceiling (known as “volumes”) to deliver a production experience unlike any other. At WFW, we see Virtual Production as an integral part of the future of filmmaking. Notable productions like Disney’s The Mandalorian and CBS’ Star Trek: Discovery have already taken advantage of this technology to create incredible high-fantasy, science fiction worlds all while inside a virtual studio.
We are looking for an experienced Field Technician to join the Virtual Production team in Toronto. Reporting to the Director, Virtual Production you will be responsible for the installation and maintenance of systems used for virtual production. This includes everything from installation/rearrangement of LED walls, to testing and deciding how to deal with several types of damage. You will be the point person on many issues, leveraging our internal departments to action required work orders. You will liaise directly and regularly with the WFW Camera technical and floor crew as the camera and virtual production lines of business are closely aligned. Working with Gaffers, Grips, and Production you will ensure proper planning and power distribution needs for stages. You will be required to travel to various locations as needed to maintain various LED systems across Canada and elsewhere.
- Evaluate the performance, condition, and quality control of the Virtual Production inventory.
- Manage, maintain and repair Virtual Production inventory, including ordering parts and coordinating third-party service as needed.
- Serve as a technical resource for clients and other WFW departments.
- Work with the service team in various locations to support department success.
- Keep current with industry developments and innovative technologies.
- Participate in Virtual Production testing, demos and workshops for clients and support in-house staff training.
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions to issues for crew and co-workers.
- Travel locally and nationally when needed to assist in department success.
- Other duties as required.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 5 years of related industry experience.
- Understanding of LED panel construction.
- Must have a strong background in electronics and repair.
- Exceptional manual dexterity and mechanical skill.
- Must have strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Must have previous experience working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Must have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be positive and have a solution-oriented mindset.
- Working knowledge of production workflow and processes would be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Virtual Production technology and equipment would be considered an.
- Post-secondary education in a motion picture industry related program would be considered an asset.
The Icing on the Cake
We’ve got your essentials covered, from competitive base salaries and a group benefits package (with massages and dental) to a group RRSP plan and a company wide profit-sharing program. Our Education and Training team is serious about supporting you with resources to perform at your very best and there is a tuition reimbursement program amongst other things. The WFW team is growing at a rapid rate to meet the world’s unsatiable hunger for awesome content. We’re literally helping to shape the future of entertainment. Join us.
If this sounds like your #dreamjob, then send your best resume to HR@whites.com. All applications will be considered, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.